What a lovely way to start a trip: Breakfast at Briar Patch, ride to the airport from my brother, good flying weather. Sallie Hicks is a perfect travel companion. We both are too wimpy to fly in Economy (I'm too claustrophobic, and can't sit still more than 90 minutes). I feel very fortunate that I was able to do it this time. Of course that means starting off with a mimosa.
I used the 15-1/2 hours from Atlanta well, clearing out 2/3 of the 2,600 photos on my phone, watching a movie I've been dying to see - Iris, eating and eating some more, took a nice nap, and drank two liters of Pellegrino.
Karen, the flight's purser, whispered to me that she turned 75 last month. I had to use one of my Delta "compliment an employee" forms to say nice things about her. One of the meals was a soooo-tender piece of lamb accompanied by roast vegetables and pureed cauliflower. I only made my way thru a third, but it was Good.
After about 13 hours of flight I inched the shade up and saw land. I think I felt like Columbus. 15-1/2 hours is a long time. And the land was amazing. I knew nothing about Namibia except how to spell it before this trip. Last week I learned of its great dessert and appeal to adventurers. The views were awesome (enlarge them!):
Well, I have some better photos and others from the day, but I'm experiencing computer misery. Verrrrry slow internet connection, it doesn't like to upload pictures in order, very time-consuming. I guess I better quit here and hope for a better tomorrow. It's 11:51 in Jo'burg and Sallie and I are up at 7. We came a day early, saving more than $1k, and we have a driver to take us to 3 sites tomorrow that I'm eager to see after listening to Nelson Mandela's autobiography.
I haven't done a simple blog in two years, and my skills are definitely rusty.
Hope this blog post works for you!
Karen, the flight's purser, whispered to me that she turned 75 last month. I had to use one of my Delta "compliment an employee" forms to say nice things about her. One of the meals was a soooo-tender piece of lamb accompanied by roast vegetables and pureed cauliflower. I only made my way thru a third, but it was Good.
After about 13 hours of flight I inched the shade up and saw land. I think I felt like Columbus. 15-1/2 hours is a long time. And the land was amazing. I knew nothing about Namibia except how to spell it before this trip. Last week I learned of its great dessert and appeal to adventurers. The views were awesome (enlarge them!):
I haven't done a simple blog in two years, and my skills are definitely rusty.
Hope this blog post works for you!







Ann,
ReplyDeleteVery excited to follow you on this adventure. Thanks for blogging!
sara
Dear Ann,
ReplyDeleteWhat a happy surprise to get to share your days and nights in SA. Be safe, Larry
I said to David this morning "I hope she does a blog." And here it is! Thank you. Can't wait for next entry.
ReplyDelete