I admit, India was MY choice for a trip. Kenneth is not eager to sign on for anything so uncomfortably far away. But after watching all the library DVDs on India we were both enthusiastic about planning a trip, and pleased that our friend, Piotr Kostrzewski of Cross Cultural Adventures, would help us with the plan. When we agreed on an itinerary for a nice 15-day trip (the longest Kenneth doesn't mind being out of the office), I called Delta. I hoped my nice Golden status would help us book the perfect flights.
I knew I couldn't ask him to squeeze his long legs into Economy (c. $1,300) for that long, and I wasn't interested in paying $9500 for Business Class. We didn't have 500,000 Miles for BC tickets. So that left my favorite alternative: a premium Economy fare ($2,567) + 50,000 miles. We've done that before, and experienced some curious routing, but we've always gotten to our destination.
This time, after speaking with three different Delta people (I don't give up easily) on three different days, I accepted the fact that there were NO fares like that available between Europe and Delhi (and we have to transfer in either Amsterdam or Paris). Our only hope was flying into Mumbai. AND there was only one day in Jan/Feb when 2 seats were available for us to go and one for us to come home. And it meant extending the itinerary to almost 20 days. And starting in a different place. But by that time we were committed. And that's how we wound up with this schedule. In the original plan we were spending Kenneth's birthday - the 18th - in Agra, romantically enjoying his most-anticipated site. Now, as you can see, he'll spend the entire day with Delta. The one good thing: we got center seats all the way, so we each have aisle access.
I knew I couldn't ask him to squeeze his long legs into Economy (c. $1,300) for that long, and I wasn't interested in paying $9500 for Business Class. We didn't have 500,000 Miles for BC tickets. So that left my favorite alternative: a premium Economy fare ($2,567) + 50,000 miles. We've done that before, and experienced some curious routing, but we've always gotten to our destination.
This time, after speaking with three different Delta people (I don't give up easily) on three different days, I accepted the fact that there were NO fares like that available between Europe and Delhi (and we have to transfer in either Amsterdam or Paris). Our only hope was flying into Mumbai. AND there was only one day in Jan/Feb when 2 seats were available for us to go and one for us to come home. And it meant extending the itinerary to almost 20 days. And starting in a different place. But by that time we were committed. And that's how we wound up with this schedule. In the original plan we were spending Kenneth's birthday - the 18th - in Agra, romantically enjoying his most-anticipated site. Now, as you can see, he'll spend the entire day with Delta. The one good thing: we got center seats all the way, so we each have aisle access.
Thursday, 1/17/12 > Friday 1/18/12 (KFM birthday)
1:30p > 3:07p Thursday Orlando > Atlanta
1 hr 37mins - 404 mi (no meal service)
Delta 24 - Boeing 757
2 hrs 38 mins between flights
5:35p Thursday > 8:15a Friday Atlanta > Amsterdam
8 hrs 40 mins - 4,387mi (Dinner)
Delta 604 - A330-300
Time: 6 hours later
1 hr 50 mins between flights
10:05a > 11:30p Friday Amsterdam > Mumbai (Bombay)
8 hrs 55 mins - 4,261 mi (Lunch)
Delta 604 - A330-300
Time: 4.5 hours later (10.5 hrs later than EST) (=1 pm EST)
Total hours in flight: 19 hrs 12 mins
Total Orlando > Mumbai time: 23 hrs 40 mins
Internal flights
1/20 Mumbai > Udaipur: 5:55p > 7:45p - Jet Airways 9W-2073
2/4 New Delta > Mumbai: 5 p >7 p - Air India 659
Tuesday, February 5
1:25a > 7:10 a Mumbai > Amsterdam
10 hrs 15 mins - 4,261 mi (Lunch)
Delta 603 - A 330-300
3 hrs 20 mins between flights
Time: 4.5 hrs earlier than India
10:30a > 2:35p Amsterdam > Atlanta
Delta 603 - A330-300
10 hrs 5 min - 4.387 mi
2 hrs 20 mins between flights
Time: 6 hrs earlier than Amsterdam, 10.5 earlier than India
4:55p > 6:29 p Atlanta > Orlando
Delta 81 - Boeing 757-300
1 hr 34 mins - 404 mi (no meal service)
Total hours in flight: 21 hrs 54 mins
Total Mumbai>Orlando time: 27 hrs 34 mins
I've been researching another idea today: Will it be possible to see the hotel used in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? While the film "takes place" in Jaipur and some scenes were filmed there, the actual hotel is east of Udaipur...and maybe too much out of the way for us to see it. But you might enjoy reading about it in one of these links (a new test of my blogging skills). Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Choosing the location
No comments:
Post a Comment