Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Amsterdam 1: Tuesday 1.20

Landing at Schiopol  c.11, I loved the jetways:



I got some good wake-up exercise. It seemed a mile to the baggage pickup and then another mile as I sought info about the hotel shuttle and then currency exchange.

Turns out with my fuzzy brain I walked right by the first Info. Once I got straightened out, the shuttle was easy - c. $20 for a small van, and just a 10-minute wait for departure with my spirited driver. The ride in was terrific with freeways at first and then along the tram tracks (that takes a special license and permit). Last time I took the train - so easy - but the hotel was a block from Central Station. A cheaper option next time would be bus 197, to just across a bridge from the hotel.



The other goal - changing money - will stay with me as a big annoyance of the trip. I had learned that every time I used an ATM Morgan Stanley would charge 2% of the value + there'd be a machine charge. It turned out that would have been a good deal compared to GWK. I had read in the guidebook that just one company did good exchanges. This airport is like a giant mall, and I missed the signs to their spot.

My currency converter at home said 1 Euro = $1.16, and $1 = €.86. I didn't understand their sign that seemed to indicate they buy dollars at 1.3073.  And then she gave me €382. I knew that was way off the real value, but I was tired and hungry and lacking confidence. At the hotel I checked my computer and saw the conversion rate showed $500 = €432. I'm hoping my smart brother, or someone, will tell me how their figures could get their results. I pass on my $50 loss as a warning sign and record it as a lesson learned. Interestingly, I had read that the Dutch don't like charge cards - but then I charged the shuttle, the hotel, my dinner, and my pre-bought concert, opera, and Rijksmuseum tickets. Call it an expensive lesson.

The hotel is an older Marriott that appears to be recently refreshed. It's clearly focused on business people these days, but has wonderful support for tourists too. I asked for a room upgrade, but it appears all the rooms are basically the same. I dreamed I'd get a "club-level" but it turned out the "club" removed it from my floor and instead there's an Executive Club @c. $60/day - on the ground floor. New concept to me. 

A charmer named Joost registered me and answered all my questions. By 1:30 I was in the room with suitcase unpacked. I lay down for a rest and woke up 3 hours later. Overcast but light day. View from my room:

Back to the first floor, I found another charmer, Martin, and asked for a recommendation for supper. He was sure I wanted a Dutch meal, and he knew just where to send me. He even wrote down what I must eat. The Pantry is just a very short walk, on a side street off the Leidseplein. I bundled up and put my brain on full alert as I prepared to cross a street thick with bikes and other traffic.

The Pantry is a tiny place, pretty empty at 6:40 but packed when I left. Turns out Tripadvisor reviewers ranked it #66 out of 2000+ restaurants in Amsterdam. Staff was friendly and service good. 



Here's the Dutch portion of their large menu:



Martin had explained what to expect with the hutspot. The server recommended the sampler with hutspot and two variations. It looks awful, but it was really delicious, especially on a cold night.

Back then to the hotel and some organizing in the room. Then, so sadly, in spite of my high fat/starch dinner, I was hungering for chocolate. I went down to the bar and ordered the recommended brownie and a celebratory Prosecco.  I had better behave on Wednesday. At least I ate just one of the brownies.


To bed around 10 in my very comfortable Marriott bedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment